To encourage new collaborations across the InterRidge member nations.
To enable early-career, ridge-crest scientists to participate in mid-ocean ridge research cruises.
To develop new research directions.
Up to $2000 USD will be awarded for travel and subsistence costs to facilitate cruise participation. Successful applicants will be asked, on their return, to:
- Produce a report for the IR website in their own language, the host scientist's language, and English
- Deliver an ambassadorial seminar in their institution, explaining the enabling role of the InterRidge bursary in their work
There are two possible routes:
A) Initiated by early-career scientist
1. Identify a cruise on which you wish to participate, and a scientist onboard (host) with whom you would like to collaborate.
2. Contact host by email, asking if there is a spare berth.
3. Host scientist checks with the cruise Chief Scientist.
4. If all are in agreement, download the bursary application form (see bottom of page - to be completed by host scientist / applicant), and submit it to the InterRidge Office as an email attachment, together with your CV and letter of support from your manager/university/laboratory.
B) Initiated by host scientist
1. If you are interested in establishing new collaborations relating to the cruise on which you are participating, contact your Chief Scientist for information on spare berths, and permission to open discussions with interested parties. Send information on spare berths into the InterRidge Office and we will put it on the website.
2. Early-career scientists - if you know any cruises have spare berths and contact the host scientist. OR
A host scientist may already know of an eligible applicant, in which case they may proceed with the application, subject to approval by the Chief Scientist.
3. If all (Chief Scientist, host scientist (if different), and early-career scientist) are in agreement, download the bursary application form (see bottom of page - to be completed by host scientist / applicant) and submit it to the InterRidge Office as an email attachment,together with the applicant's CV and letter of support from his/her manager/university/laboratory.
What will you do onboard?
Participate in the planned science programme.
Carry out your collaborative research.
(Preference will be given to applicants from InterRidge member countries, who have a clear role on the research cruise and who are not part of the original research team. We especially favour applicants from countries other than those of the host scientist).